Monday, September 28, 2009

The Evolution of Homeschool Records

We are thinking about making a big change in the way we homeschool and I was looking at my homeschool records to see what we have accomplished in the last 6 years. I had to laugh at the contrast between the records that I kept when I first started homeschooling Sierra as a kindergartner and our records now.

Here is the record for Sierra's first day of kindergarten:

8/25/03
10:30 - 11:10 - writing practice, capital letters A, B, C, and D
12:00 - 12:30 - Art - blow pens, scissors, markers
1:30 - 1:50 - Reading - lesson 45
2:15 - 2:30- science - absorption
5:30 - 5:50 - Math - number writing

Here are the records I keep now:

April -
Math and Grammar Readers
Story of the World
Carnival of the Animals
Poetry

Oh my, how times have changed! I will admit that keeping track of the exact times only lasted 3 days, but I did keep daily records until November of 2007.

I meant for this post to show how laid back we had become since we first starting homeschooling 6 years ago, but since we are about ready to make a change in the way we homeschool, I have been thinking alot about what our reasons for homeschooling are and if we have been accomplishing them. It just occurred to me that about the time that I stopped keeping daily record was about when I feel like we started accomplishing less in our homeschool. Hum...

I have thought about what factors might have caused this shift. My youngest turned 5 that November and became an offfical part of our homeschool, the older girls started attending a one day a week program that fall, and we started hanging out with a bunch of unschoolers. Interesting... I guess it could have been any one of these factors or a combination.

I will post later about the big change we are thinking of making.

4 comments:

Jean said...

....now you went and made us all wonder.....;)

Michelle said...

Talk about leaving us hanging!!! :)

Ann said...

Unschoolers are horrible people. You should avoid them at all cost! Hey, wanna skip math and come over for a potluck? : )

Ann

Michelle said...

Yes, unschooler are horrible ;) And yes I am leaving you all hanging until we get our plans all sorted out.