Friday, September 3, 2010

Homemade Laundry Soap - It actually works!


I was a bit wary when I thought about making my own laundry detergent.  I have learned from past experience that natural homemade stuff often doesn't work.  But I'm all for being gentler to the earth and I am really all for saving money, especially now that we live in Hawaii and everything is so expensive, so I decided to give it a try.

And it works.  It actually works.

Here is the recipe I used:


1 bar of soap  (grated into tiny pieces.  I use my food processor)
1 cup borax
1 cup washing soda
1 scoop oxy clean

mix and use 2 tablespoon per load

There are tons of recipes on the internet.  I chose this one because it make a powdered detergent.  I hate how the liquid kind drips and gets everything in the laundry room sticky.  Also, because it is easy. The liquid kind requires you to cook it on the stove.  And I chose this particular powdered recipe because it is easy to remember. 1-1-1-1...

The first time I made it I used a bar of Fels Naptha soap.  After that I have used Lever 2000.  The Lever is easier to chop up and it is less expensive and easier to find at the store. And it works just as well.

I have started making a double batch and that lasts me about a month.

I read that using the Oxy Clean is important or your clothes start looking faded because this homemade detergent doesn't have brighteners like the store bought kind.

You can also use baking soda in place of washing soda. I am going to try that with my next batch.  Mostly because I haven't been able to find washing soda at the store.  I got the first box from a neighbor who ordered a case from Ace Hardware.  I only bought one box because I was skeptical about whether homemade laundry soap would work.

I guess I didn't need to be worried. 

*** update***  It doesn't work.  The clothes became dingy and workout clothes stayed stinky!

1 comment:

Jean said...

so good to hear! I have wanted to try forever but have been afraid to! So now I can