Friday, December 4, 2009

A week in the life of me - Friday

TGIF! This new school program has me really appreciating weekends more. Usually Rand wakes me up around 6:45 on Fridays so we can work out. This morning we stayed in bed until 7:45 instead. As you can tell we are not doing a great job keeping up with the P90X workouts. Between missing Wednesdays and Thursdays when I have to get up early and drive into town for the girls' classes and being so tired from driving into town twice a week, it has been difficult.

I got out of bed and woke up the girls at 8am. I got some laundry started. Then I ate breakfast and checked email and facebook. I attempted to get in the shower, but Sierra had an earring crisis. She hadn't worn earrings in a few days and couldn't get an earring into her right earlobe. Once that crisis was solved, I got in the shower. When I got out, the girls had finished their morning chores. Sierra and Kali were working their school work and Arwen was playing on the computer. Kali needed help with science and Sierra needed help with her literature assessment. By the time I was done helping them, it was 10:30 and I still hadn't done anything with Arwen, yet. I managed to do math, phonics and art with Arwen before lunch. Lunch break included Saddle Club, of course.

We were just getting ready to start back up with school work when a neighbor girl stopped by to see if Sierra, Kali and Arwen wanted to come over and make cookies. I had forgotten that today was Furlough Friday. Right now in Hawaii the kids have 17 Fridays off school as a way to cut costs. Well, I have been trying to help Sierra make friends with this girl for a while, so I wasn't about to say no. I sent the kids off and thought, wow unexpected time alone!

I got all of the girls K12 school work recorded and looked through what we need to do on Monday, so I wouldn't have to think about it over the weekend. Then I started straightening up the house. I turned on an episode to of Desperate Housewives to watch/listen to while I worked. Once the house was in order, I started working on all of the things that needed to get done that had been building up during this busy week. I sent an email, sorted paperwork, request some CD's from the library, changed a light bulb, dusted the fans, balanced the budget, charged the camera battery and caught up on my blog reading.

Rand got home early because his last class was canceled. I chatted with him some and then we watched some TV while I sorted the laundry. He then took a nap and I did some ironing. Then I remembered that I promised Rand that I would make him a new treat, so I made some coconut bars that I had been wanting to try.

Then girls got home at 5pm. I informed them that we wouldn't be doing any school over the weekend as I had originally suggested when I sent them off to make cookies in the middle of our school day. I am try hard not to get caught up in being "behind" with this program. We started out behind since we didn't sign up until the beginning of the 2nd quarter and I have been trying to catch up, but it has really been driving me crazy. I am really trying to just relax and take things day by day.

I worked on this blog post for a while and then some on more of the junk that is piling up - paid some bills, addressed Arwen's birthday thank you notes, started uploading some books on Itunes.

At this point it was after 6pm. Rand woke up from his nap and I pondered out loud about what we should have for dinner. When we first moved to Hawaii, Rand cooked everyday. Then he started teaching and asked if I could cook on Mondays and Wednesdays and I agreed to. A few weeks later Rand seemed to lose his motivation to cook. This is a cycle that we often go through. Rand cooks for a while and then gets bored of cooking. Then I cook for a while and then Rand gets bored of my cooking and then he cooks for a while, etc. But with starting a new homeschool program, I knew it would be too much for me to take over the cooking, so I have been encouraging Rand to continue cooking even though he has not been in the mood lately.

Anyway, by the time we figure out that we would work together to make sweet and sour for dinner, it was very late. We didn't eat until about 8pm. We watched Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer and when it was over it was bedtime for the girls. Rand is doing the dishes again. What an awesome idea he had to get me to spend less money! And I am typing this post. We will probably watch some TV and then head to bed.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Wow, what a busy week! I've really enjoyed reading these posts. I don't know how you do it; I'd drop! :)